Sunday, April 30, 2006

Blog the Fourth and a Half

Generally, I practice what I preach.

Recently, life for me has become particularly overwhelming. There are a gaggle of details involved in being a responsible adult that I can't seem to get a handle on. At times like this, I begin to wish my Mother were here or that she'd at least left me some kind of Life Handbook with a specific chapter entitled - Overwhelming Adult Things and How to Handle Them.

But alas, it is not as easy as all that. So instead, to clear my head and get some well needed fresh air (and a bit of a different perspective), I took a drive. Two and a half hours round trip. Take a drive, if you remember dear reader, was advice given in Blog the Third. At some time just after half past 4 p.m. today, I hopped in my car, left my humble home in Altadena and headed for the dramatic bluffs along the coastline of Malibu.

When I need to find my Mother I go to the water. I stand on the edge of a low rising cliff and stare out across the sea. She is out there somewhere, out there past the ocean's infinite horizon. A few minutes in the breeze, letting my heart sing out to her, always helps puts things back in the right place. I leave a few tears behind, and feel much better afterwards.

-TL

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

your words cut me deep because i can relate to your entry on so many levels. it's hard to keep up the "everything's fine" facade sometimes, and when you're alone and at your most vulnerable, all of the overwhelming emotions and situations just find you, making it even worse because you think you have no one to go to. it's true our mothers' are not physically with us, but they are definitely "with" us every step of the way. thanks for making me cry at work ;-)

Davenholl said...

I googled motherless daughters blog and came up with your blog. Thanks for your honesty. You young and yet you are years ahead of others because your a motherless daughter. I know...I lost my mother at ten and that was 25 years ago. Keep writing, keep processing...your gonna make it!
A new friend from Michigan

TL said...

Kim R - crying is good! Except when you get all stuffy and snotty and stuff :)

TL said...

Hello Davenholl - thanks a bunch for stopping by my blog. I'm happy you found it in the internet vastness. And thank you so much for the vote of confidence (I'm gonna make it! WEEEEEE! YES!). Coming from you, a veteran Motherless Daughter, that means a lot. -TL

Davenholl said...

You have inspired me to write and even though we don't know each other...thanks from one MD to the next. Stop by if you like:
http://motherlessdaughterdiary.blogspot.com/
Your Michigan friend, Holly