Monday, May 08, 2006

Blog the Sixth

One of the first things I do is turn on iTunes. When I get to work in the wee morning hours (or about 6:45 a.m.), and I have the whole office to myself, I love to turn on the music and play it loud. I realized this morning how much music has been a factor in my healing. And not just music, mind you, but many other forms of art (most especially writing).

I have collected over the years, a vast library of songs that I listen to at different moments in my life. I think we all have them - the breakup songs, the love songs, the teenage rage songs. But I have a few songs that I've most definitely found comfort in during my times of grief. These are my Motherless Daughter songs, and I thought I'd share a short list of them here:

1. I Will Never Love Again - The Princess Bride
Sorry to start off sooooo dramatic, but this song from the soundtrack is just so haunting. The longing, the aching. The melody is so enchanting. This song lets me feel my sadness. This song lets me be.

2. Into The West - The Lord of Rings, The Return of the King
This song by Annie Lennox reminds me that someday, my Mom and I will be reunited.

3. Me and Mrs. Jones - Billy Paul
One of my Mother's favorite songs! She had/has really good taste!

4. A Gift of Thistle - Braveheart
More haunting melodies. It gives my mind time to breathe, to stretch out and imagine. Imagine being alone in a space where there is no time and there is no pressure. There is just swirling mist, and quite trees and me.

5. The Show Must Go On - Queen
'nuff said.

And finally, the song. The Ultimate Song that Soothes the Savage Beast...

6. Introduction Et Rondo Capriccioso - Saint-Saens
If you can't find the piece with Tasmin Little go for Itzhak Perlman. A mere description of this piece will not do it justice. You will just have to hear it for yourself.

I'd love to hear what songs you guys use to get through. Leave a comment and tell me about them.

-TL

5 comments:

Fightin' Mad Mary said...

#1 is awesome - I think it's so healthy to feel the sadness - it's cathartic.

Burfica said...

I had the song When I get where I'm going by brad paisly and dolly parton sang at my mothers service. I think that song will make me cry every single time I hear it. But it said everything that I couldn't about my mom, andour beliefs.

Also we had Eagle when she flies sung at my wedding to my mom (we=me and my sister) and it said so much about my mother that we had it sung again at her service. It fit perfectly both places.

But of all things, when I feel really really down, and I think the fates are stacked against me. It always seems that a certain song plays on the radio. I know it's a sign just for me.
And it's Chumbawumba's song
I GET KNOCKED DOWN, BUT I GET UP AGAIN, AIN'T NOTHIN GONNA KEEP ME DOWN. It always seems to come on in the most perfect of times.

there are many others, but I can't think of much beyond having to go potty right now. hehehehe better run so there is no puddle.

Oh tl, i made a post on my regular blog www.burfica.blogspot.com

I got to a part about my mother, and it brought me to my knees. It was so sad to remember, because I know she has lost out on so much.

Reviews For Jake said...

I was thinking about putting together a CD or show or something called: The Soundtrack of My Life. I think I was just inspired.

Thanks.

My Soundtrack includes:

The Glory Of Love -Bette Midler
Get Here - Oleta Adams
Come What May - Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman
Defying Gravity - Idina Menzel

TL said...

CHUMBAWAMBA!!! Tubthumping is awesome!

"Come What May" will be playing at the wedding I'm most likely never gonna have. That song is perfect and beautiful. Is there anything Ewan can't do?!

Um Naief said...

Hi tl, thanks for leaving a msg on my blog.

I love music, especially the soundtrack from Gladiator - it's filled w/ such sadness and helps me when I'm lonely.

I also love Lisa Gerrard and Dead Can Dance. I listen to this a lot when I'm painting... it helps me when I'm feeling down.

Madonna picks me up and fills me w/ confidence - so I love listening to her. I'm also a sucker for Jewel.

I just love music and you have picked some really great pieces.

Thanks again for stopping by and I'm glad I found yours. Nice blog.