Thursday, June 01, 2006

And Now For Something Completely Different

We interrupt our regularly scheduled blogram to bring you an Exercise in Collaborative Blogging.

I decided to give something new a shot and participate in a Blog Exchange. It's a collborative blogging experiment where you are paired up with a buddy, assigned a topic, write your take on the topic at hand, and post each others views on each others blogs with a link back to the other person's blog. Sound confusing? It was for me. And I think I kind of got yelled at because I didn't submit my work, or post my buddies work... well... till now (slackerific!). My apologies to K Chase and J's Mommy for dropping the ball.

J's Mommy wrote her post and then stopped by Cheap Chocolate only to realize, gasp!, Cheap Chocolate is a blog for Motherless Daughters and her post is about the struggles of being a Mother. After reading her post, I have to say BRAVO Stacy! BRAVO!

There is indeed a reality to being a Mother that is not as Stacy says, "all sugar and no spice." My Mother (perhaps not yours, but mine) wasn't always Suzie Homemaker, and I know she must have cursed my name more than once, as I tested every one of her seemingly last nerves.

I found early on I had to walk a fine line between remembering my Mother rightfully and making her into some flawless fantasy. My Mother wasn't some storybook character. She was a real live, flawed, hard-working, beautiful, trying her best and fucking up sometimes woman... and Mother.

Put your hands together for Guest Blogger J's Mommy (aka Stacy) and her wonderfully written post on the topic - What's in a Name?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What’s in a name? Funny you should ask that. I’m not feeling too find of my name right now.

Mommy.

I hear it all day long. “Mommy, can you get me some chocolate milk?” “Mommy, can I watch a video?” “Mommy, can we go outside?” “Mommy, I don’t want to go to bed.”

It’s a constant reminder of who I’ve become. A mother, a role model, a healer of all things. It’s a huge responsibility and I had no idea what to expect when I found out I was pregnant. What I read about in books and learned from friends was nothing like what I experienced. What I am STILL experiencing.

I’m afraid that if I say what I really feel, I’ll be admitting defeat. If I tell the truth, the whole world will find out I’m a fake. Heck, what’s the difference? I’m already consumed by guilt. Here it goes …

Sometimes, I don’t like being a mommy.

There I said it. My world didn’t shatter. And yet it’s a sentence I would never say in the real world, outside of the blogosphere. Not even under my breath. Doing that would make me an outcast. All of the mommies out there madly in love with their children would hunt me down and scold me for saying such a thing.

You have to know that my daughter is everything to me. She is smart and funny and totally fearless. But, she’s also willful and stubborn and just plain difficult. Don’t believe me? On her one year checkup at the pediatrician, he recommended this book.

It’s because of her behavior that I feel like there’s nothing left of me. The me that used to enjoy life and laugh a lot. The me that was patient and understanding. The me that was creative and driven. The old me.

The name ‘mommy’ has a lot of meanings for me ~ some good, some bad. There are times when I feel proud and times when I feel just plain pitiful. I wish there were more mommies out there like me. More mommies who feel like they’ve been duped into believing motherhood is all sugar and no spice.

Tomorrow I may feel different, but for today I’d like to be called Stacy.

2 comments:

Burfica said...

Oh Stacy. Funny that's my real name too, not spelled the same. Mine is with an ie. Anywhoo...one question. How old is your daughter??

I know that sounds weird, or even stereotypical. But it's not. I'm a mom a mom of a 10 year old boy (he informed me a few months back that he was to old to call me mommy *insert knife in heart here*) It took me alot of fertility drugs to get him. See...I always wanted to be a mother, ever since I was a little girl. it was my dream. And I was told my dream would never come true. I got one, but can never have anymore.

But...back on track here. It's not that some days I don't want to be a mom. Some days I've woken up and just not wanted to play. Let me go sit in a comma on my bed, and just not play. My biggest fantasy for like the first 5 years of kiddo's existance was to be able to go stay one night in a local motel. Just me, myself and I. My husband never indulged me. which still makes me angry at him to this day. (probably more dissapointed in his lack of feelings) but I digress.

I have many many many times fealt like a failure to being a mother. I know there is probably people that could handle my so called "difficult child" much better than me. Sometimes I think if he had other parents he wouldn't be a "difficult child"

What I'm trying to say. Is wait hun. It gets better, the good days far far out weigh the bad. And you wake up and discover, the old you is still there. Just intertwined with another life, and in some ways made into a better person.

YOu feel you need to get away, you do everything you can to get that one day away. It would do wonders, I can tell ya.

Wish ya all the best.

Kelley said...

HI STACY-I'm Kelley a mom with the same thoughts and feelings as you. I too started blogging to tell the world all that goes along with the title of mommy-the good, the bad, the scary, the horrid, the guilt, the funny, the love-all of it. Nicely written and TL tied it all in so nicely with her talented prose too. Thanks for sharing-we're not alone and I'm finding that out every day here.