Thursday, June 22, 2006

Blog the Fourteenth

While waiting in my neighborhood post office Tuesday morning, I pulled out my May 2006 copy of "Women's Health" magazine and flipped to the back. Generally I read magazines from back to front, especially if I started at the front once and didn't get all the way through. Switching it up for my brain keeps me frosty, I think. Sort of like running backwards - but I digress.

The last page of the magazine (p. 124) called "The Average Woman" lists statistics I presume are about the average, everyday American Woman (YAY Lenny Kravitz!). In this case the statistics revolved around Mothers, how fitting. So I thought I'd share a few interesting ones here.

Did you know:

1. Nearly 1 in 2: Number of women who say Mom is their best friend
(Before my Mother got very sick, she and I used to be great partners in crime. We were most definitely the best of teams.)

2. Secrets the Average Woman is most likely to keep from Mom: when she lost her virginity and that she dabbled in drugs
(I never dabbled in drugs, but Mom was already gone by the time I lost my virginity. I think she would have laughed at me since it took me so long. She was very much a party type of gal.)

3. Number of women who see or talk with Mom every day: Nearly 1 in 2
(During the week when Mom was around we talked all the time. During the weekends, when it was "her" time, I'd not hear from her for a day or so. Is she were alive today, I think we'd be on the phone all the time.)

4. Percentage of women who address Mom by her first name: 1
(I didn't know my Mom's first name till I was 10!)

5. Best thing Mom ever taught the AW: unconditional love
(Awwwww....)

6. Worst thing: to be a control freak
(Actually that's more of my Grandmother, which may explain why my Mom was a bit of a wild child.)

7. Percentage of women who say becoming a mom improved their relationship with their own: 56
(Way to go ladies! I guess sometimes it is all about walking a mile in their shoes.)

8. Number of women who wish they felt closer to Mom: 1 in 2
(This I didn't and still don't have to worry about. My Mom and I were awfully close when she was alive. I didn't get to experience closeness with her as an adult, so I wasn't privvy to her deep, dark secrets. But I think we might have gotten there if we had more time. And, though she is gone these many years, I do feel close to her even now. I feel our connection is still there.)

9. The AW's favorite dish prepared by Mom: Cookies
(The worst: My Mom's omletes. They tasted like sponges! I used to tell her they could soak up the East River! She'd hiss at me, "Then you can starve!" She was a bit of a drama queen sometimes.)

10. If your mom has heart disease depression: chances you'll get it are 40%, with a lifetime risk of 20% - 25%
(Take care of yourselves ladies.)

-TL

4 comments:

Davenholl said...

Wow, cool survey. Today, actually, I was thinking about what my mother would think of me today. I think we, too, would be great partners in crime. She always had a practical joking side. But since I was a child I didn't get to interact with the adult that was my mother. Percentage of women who appreciate the fact that their mothers are still alive: ?
All I know is the saying that goes "You don't know what you got till it's gone" rings true! Friends, if you have your mother, ENJOY HER NO MATTER WHAT!
Sorry, I went a little soapbox, didn't I? :)

Burfica said...

When I was really really little my mom was always laughing, having fun, joking. When I got old enough to really be friends with her. She was so bitter and angry, and full of depression, that we sorta hated each other. When I started having to take care of her, we sorta mended our fences. I like to think we became friends, but alot of times it was a strained relationship, but no less special.

My mom was a horrible cook. Thank god I have moved on from that and decided to USE herbs and spices. LOL A couple things she did awesomely. her stuffing at Thanksgiving, her Pies, (they won awards, specailly for the crust, now I make her pies, and do pretty well) And something she called pudding cake, that for the life of me I can't find the recipe for.

Anonymous said...

Very accurate survey!

My mom used to call her mom by her first name sometimes, very late in my grandmother's life when she was being a huge pain. ;)

She'd hiss at me, "Then you can starve!"

HA! That made me laugh. :D


- G-Unit

Cory said...

I love #4!