Monday, June 05, 2006

Blog the Twelfth

Last Friday, while driving home, I made the left turn onto Lake Ave. and something odd caught my eye. Lake Ave. crosses over the freeway, and looking out over the freeway were two people doing some sort of funky dance.

As I got closer I made out that the two people were actually a lady with a summer hat on and a little boy in a baseball cap (most likely her son or nephew). As I got even closer, I realized they were not dancing a funky dance at all, but gesturing excitedly to the trucks traveling on the freeway below to blow their horns.

And apparently they got a horn blow. Just as I pulled up even with them, they started jumping up and down and turned to each other with big smiles on their faces. Success! Then they promptly went back to getting the trucks to blow their horns again.

That moment was so hilarious, that I couldn't help but crack up aloud as I drove by. All the way up the hill to my home, I could not stop smiling, thinking of those guys enjoying one silly moment in life.

Inspired by that, here is TL's Silly Moment In Life #1.

I don't know what started it, but at some point my Mother and I decided that at random times and on random days and in random places, we'd play little games. Games we mostly made up, but which were fun nonetheless.

One Saturday morning, I was lying on one couch in the living room and my Mother was lying on the other. We were watching some cartoon, I can't remember which, as my Mother ate Cocoa Puffs right out of the box.

During the commercial break, I turned to look at my Mother, and she threw a Cocoa Puff right at my face. It hit me square in the forehead - bonk! - and bounced off onto the floor. I stared at her for one second before I busted out into uncontrollable laughter. I found the Cocoa Puff and threw it back. She caught it and ate it cracking up the whole time. The game was on.

My Mother grabbed Cocoa Puffs one by one and lobbed them my way. My goal was to catch them in my mouth, no hands. I don't know how many we threw back and forth, but I can tell you while many of them landed on my face, hardly any of them landed in my mouth. There were Cocoa Puffs everywhere!

Then after a few failed rounds, my Mother says, "Don't Move. Just leave your mouth open." So I lay back on the couch, my head tilted up and kind of off to the side so I could see her throw. She tossed the tiny Puff into the air, it arced from her couch to mine and landed... right on my tongue. I couldn't believe it! We started laughing so hard, one of us fell off their couch (I think it was me!).

I don't remember us playing the Cocoa Puff Game again after that day. But, we didn't have to. It's a memory I'll have for all time.

-TL

6 comments:

Burfica said...

Oh man TL, both of those are amazing and funny stories.

I have one. My mother drove a little dodge colt. A 1975 dodge colt. So...4 cylinders back then where gutless wonders.

We would drive down to Phoenix, and there is this mountain you have to climb. You drop into the Verdie Valley and have to climb back out. Well...we were notorious for going only about 35mph up the hill with the heater on full blast so the car didn't over heat. Even in summer.

This one day, me, mom and a friend were in the car. We were doing our 35 up the hill and heater full blast. We had all the windows down seeing as it was July (in arizona none the less) And everybody is passing us. Even people in electric wheelchairs passed us. heheheh But all of a sudden we pull up on a pickup that has a guy and looked like his sons in it. They were going maybe 32mph. There truck blowing out ugly smoke. Other cars passed them honking and being mean. So...we start to slowly pass this truck, and both me and mom on que. Put our arms outside of the windows and start acting like we are paddeling. My friends started in, and with each paddle, we were yelling STROKE, STROKE STROKE!!! As we pass the truck, the guy and his sons crack up to no end. And the guy screams out his window, "HEY I THINK IT'S WORKING"

We laughed so hard we pee'd a little I'm sure. hehehehe

Cory said...

That's a sweet story.

Davenholl said...

Great story! I have one about a guy who kept talking to us with his eyebrows going up and down in a really exaggerated way but uh, hey it was a ya had to be there kinda story...so I leave you with
Holly your MI friend!

Kelley said...

LOL!
Hope you're still catching cocoa puffs with your mouth-or trying!

Davenholl said...

hey how can I link other blogs to mine?

blah said...

Hey TL,

You know, your TLSMIL #1 made me think of something my dad used to do with me. **Side note: For those of you who are reading this post who don't know me, I'm a fatherless daughter; he passed away in 1993.**End of side note**

Anywho - I spent most of my formative years around my father, and he spent most of that time trying to figure out how to get his daughter to drink more water. I HATED WATER. Passionately and with a vengeance.

My father came up with the creative idea of water races. He knew I was the competitive type, so it made sense. He'd grab two identical glasses out of the cabinet, fill both with equal amounts of water, and on the count of three, we'd chug the water down in a race to see who'd finish first.

The funny thing is, I always looked forward to those races, despite my water prejudice. The other funny thing is that he always lost to me. It's a safe bet that those races were fixed. ;-)